Leadership and Responsibility
We aim to provide opportunities for each pupil to discover and nurture talents through a wide range of experiences and challenges. We want the children to possess the right sort of confidence and to be prepared for a rapidly changing world. Part of that preparation will involve skills in public speaking, problem solving, lateral thinking, the ability to communicate, to adapt, to present and to hold a conversation.
- In Nursery and Reception the children are encouraged to become independent learners and thinkers. They work collaboratively and independently and are discovering their unique learning styles and habits: a blue-print for their entire learning journey. The roles and responsibilities increase as the children grow through the school.
- Form Captains and Vice Captains in each class, from Reception to Year 5, take on various tasks and responsibilities. The positions change half-termly so that everyone is involved. The Captains sit on School Council and represent their peers.
- Year 3 and 4 engage in team building activities and camp out in the school grounds. Year 5 a have a PGL team building and leadership week and Year 6 have an outward-bound activity week at Hayling Island.
- Team Captains and House Captains organise sports and arts events, make choices and decisions, delegate tasks, plan teams with teachers and lead team talks.
- Year 5 Buddies plan the pupil rota, ensure break-time is covered and that the juniors have play-mates. They are listeners and friends in the playground and they take this role very seriously.
- Year 6 Prefects have a range of designated responsibilities including Eco Leaders, Charity Officers, Activity Monitors and daily duties. Year 6 pupils guide visitors and Parents on Open Days, they meet and greet at school events and escort juniors at morning drop-off. The Head Boy and Girl and their Deputies oversee the Prefects, make speeches at public events, lead meetings and help organise various events.
- Year 5 and Year 6 participate in a 2 day Enterprise Challenge involving seminars and workshops with visiting business leaders and captains of industry, product research, marketing, strategy development, creative thinking, presentations and pitches and working effectively in teams.