Leadership and Responsibility
We aim to provide opportunities for each pupil to discover and nurture talents through a wide range of experiences and challenges. We want the children to possess the right sort of confidence and to be prepared for a rapidly changing world. Part of that preparation will involve skills in public speaking, problem solving, lateral thinking, the ability to communicate, to adapt, to present and to hold a conversation.
- In Nursery and Reception the children are encouraged to become independent learners and thinkers. They work collaboratively and independently and are discovering their unique learning styles and habits: a blue-print for their entire learning journey. The roles and responsibilities increase as the children grow through the school.
- Form Captains and Vice Captains in each class, from Reception to Year 5, take on various tasks and responsibilities. The positions change half-termly so that everyone is involved. The Captains sit on School Council and represent their peers.
- Year 3 and 4 engage in team building activities and camp out in the school grounds. Year 5 a have a PGL team building and leadership week and Year 6 have an outward-bound activity week at Hayling Island.
- Team Captains and House Captains organise sports and arts events, make choices and decisions, delegate tasks, plan teams with teachers and lead team talks.
- Year 5 Buddies plan the pupil rota, ensure break-time is covered and that the juniors have play-mates. They are listeners and friends in the playground and they take this role very seriously.
- Year 6 Prefects have a range of designated responsibilities including Eco Leaders, Charity Officers, Activity Monitors and daily duties. Year 6 pupils guide visitors and Parents on Open Days, they meet and greet at school events and escort juniors at morning drop-off. The Head Boy and Girl oversee the Prefects, make speeches at public events, lead meetings and help organise various events. The Head of Houses are responsible for organising their respective charity fund raising days and help organise inter-house events.
- Year 5 and Year 6 participate in a 2 day Enterprise Challenge involving seminars and workshops with visiting business leaders and captains of industry, product research, marketing, strategy development, creative thinking, presentations and pitches and working effectively in teams.